Wastewater Collection System Operator
Location: Willow Grove
Applicants can apply directly on our career site on the link below:
At Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc., we know that water is a precious resource – one that plays a critical role in sustaining life. That’s why we take seriously our mission: protecting and providing Earth’s most essential resource. At Aqua, we are guided by a set of principles that embody the character of our company and inspire our work together. They are embedded within our business practices and our behavior. We are proud to be united by integrity, respect and the pursuit of excellence to be the best we can be for the customers and communities we serve.
Together, the women and men of Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc. serve 1 million customers across eight states. Aqua uses science, technology, capital investments, and amazing talent to provide communities with clean, safe drinking water and responsibly return wastewater to our rivers and streams. Join our team and make a difference!
A vacancy exists for the position of Utility Technician – Wastewater.
Responsible for the skilled and unskilled tasks related to the construction, maintenance, and repair of wastewater collection system facilities; operating a variety of light and moderately heavy power-driven equipment; and ensuring public health and safety by preventing and/or responding to sewage overflows and blockages. Responsible for inspecting, cleaning, maintaining, constructing and repairing wastewater collection systems, including sanitary sewers, laterals, manholes, lift stations and related facilities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Performs tasks associated with the installation, maintenance and/or repair, cleaning and inspecting of sanitary mains, laterals, manholes, lift stations and related facilities.
- Perform wastewater collection system locates and related activities as required by PA One Call Act 50; utilizing locating equipment and available plans and drawings.
- Must be capable of loading and unloading various equipment, material and supplies at worksites and storage areas.
- Must be able to accurately read and interpret maps, specifications, drawings and blueprints.
- Must utilize proper safety precautions related to all work performed.
- Must be capable of operating and performing routine preventative maintenance of equipment; i.e. pumps, generators, compressors, jackhammers, tampers and other equipment as required.
- Must be physically capable of lifting material and/or equipment weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Must be capable of using a computer, tablet or other electronic devices to review maps and plans through GIS, including the use of company’s work order system.
- Must be capable of preparing all job-related administrative forms and paperwork.
- Performs other duties or special projects as requested related to the area of responsibility.
- Must be available to work overtime and “on call” duty as scheduled, including weekends and holidays.
SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL OR REGISTRATION QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or the GED equivalent is required; NASSCO (National Association of Sewer Service Companies) certifications and camera truck experience are preferred; experience operating a combination jet/vacuum truck also preferred.
- PA DEP Wastewater Operator’s Certification Class E – Satellite Collection Systems preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license. A Class B Commercial Driver’s License with Air Brake Restriction Removed will be required.
The classification of “Utility Technician” is subject to the Federal Highway Administration Regulation 49 CFR Part 382 that stipulates that any employee who is required to obtain and hold a commercial driver’s license is subject to the following:
- Random drug and alcohol testing; Reasonable suspicion testing; Post accident testing involving a loss of life and/or citation for a moving violation; Return to duty testing; Bi-annual medical certification (physical examination).
Successful applicant who has been awarded a job requiring a CDL must:
- Within (5) days of notification, secure the necessary Knowledge Test Authorization Form from PENNDOT and take the necessary vision screening. Failure to secure the necessary application within (5) days will be cause for successful applicant to lose the awarded job and return to current job. Proof of application must be presented to Human Resources within this time frame.
- Within (60)* days of award of job, the employee must pass the required knowledge testing in order to receive the required learner’s permit.
- Within (120) additional days must have passed and secured a CDL with necessary endorsements. The permit is valid for (120) days.
- Failure to secure a CDL within (120) days will be cause for employee to leave job and secure job which does not require a CDL. The permit is valid for (120) days.
*To the extent that PennDot delays the issue of the learner’s permit this (60) days will be extended accordingly.
The starting rate of pay is $33.63 per hour.
All employees hired will receive three dollars ($3.00) per hour less than the classification wage rate. The wage reduction will be returned in one dollar ($1.00) increases once a year over a three (3) year period.
Interested applicants can contact Human Resources at 1.877.271.9012 or apply online @ Workday.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
Seasonal employees / Summer internships are excluded from these requirements, however vaccinations are preferred.
Essential Utilities and its subsidiaries, including Aqua, Delta, and Peoples Natural Gas, require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowable under the law. Proof of vaccination must be provided prior to your first day of employment.
If you are unable to be fully vaccinated due to a medical or religious exemption, you will be required to apply for an exemption on your first day of employment with Essential Utilities. As part of the process, you will be required to provide information and/or documentation to Human Resources about the reason(s) you cannot be vaccinated. If your request for an exemption is not approved, then your employment may be terminated.
Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Equal employment opportunity is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to the following legally protected characteristics: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions, including medical conditions related to lactation), physical or mental disability, covered-veteran status, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
Aqua, a subsidiary of Essential Utilities, Inc. is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you have a condition that may prevent you from applying for a job online or need to request an accommodation during the interview process, please call (1-877-271-9012).