The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Chief Corporate Counsel. They will provide strategic guidance, consultation, and support to Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA) senior leadership on a comprehensive range of legal and other associated issues involved in carrying out the mission of the Authority. They will oversee and manage all legal services to ensure maximum protection of the Authority’s legal rights, and to maintain its operations within the limits prescribed by local, state, federal, and applicable law.
• Develop and lead the Authority’s legal strategy to promote and protect legal matters within the organization, including strategies in preparation for litigation, arbitration, mediation, labor negotiations, financing transactions and administrative proceedings.
• Provides legal counsel and guidance to PWSA’s CEO and senior leaders on all legal matters relevant to a regulated utility.
• Represents PWSA in judicial and administrative proceedings, and in negotiations with other state agencies. Serve as an arbitrator or mediator as necessary.
• Reviews, researches, interprets, and prepares both written and oral opinions, legal memorandum, and correspondence on a wide variety of legal issues.
• Drafts, reviews, and approves policies and procedures, regulations, and other legal documents.
• Serve as central point of contact for internal staff, outside counsel and any parties related to compliance or legal issues.
• Respond to all legal notices including bankruptcies, subpoenas, and other client matters.
• Manage any dispute resolution and/or litigation that might arise in the conduct of PWSA’s business/relationships with external parties.
• Build and develop in-house legal department; consult with outside counsel as needed on difficult and/or sensitive issues.
• Manage the Authority’s ethics program in compliance with rules and regulations.
• Prepare and/or reviews documents for construction projects and for the purchase, lease, or sale of goods, services, and professional services including specification, bid documents, request for proposals, and requests for qualifications, bonds, and contractual documents.
• Maintain and develop knowledge about laws, regulations, and court decisions affecting the Authority.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Ability to provide competent legal advice and counsel to senior leaders, and represent PWSA in legal proceedings, on a wide range of legal and policy issues.
• Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations which impact all facets of Authority policy and operations including Clean Water Act and Safe Drinking Water Act.
• Knowledge of Pennsylvania Utility Commission laws.
• Ability to analyze and interpret issues and to prepare legal opinions.
• Ability to communicate complex legal issues and risks in terms that non-legal colleagues can understand.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a legal department and staff; and the ability to manage legal services provided by outside counsel.
• Manage and prioritize a heavy workload while meeting deadlines.
• Critical thinker and problem solver.
• Possess sound judgement, logical reasoning, integrity, and good ethics.
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with one’s supervisor, colleagues, outside agencies, government officials, community representatives, and the public.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, the ability to operate a personal computer and other office equipment as required.
• Maintain confidentiality.
Education / Experience Requirements:
• The following requirements list the minimum education/training/experience required to qualify for this job. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be accepted.
• Must clearly show a Juris Doctorate Degree.
• Must have passed the Pennsylvania Bar Examination.
• Must have a current license to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
• 10+ years of relevant experience within a law firm or corporate legal department. Government and regulated utility experience preferred.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment. Applicant must have permanent residency within one of the following Pennsylvania counties at the time of appointment and remain a resident within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the PWSA: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Lawrence, Indiana, Washington, or Westmoreland.
Examination: A drug screen, background check, and/or physical may be required for appointment.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The physical demands consist of walking, climbing stairs, finger movements including fine dexterity and coordination, hearing conversation, seeing near and far, and speaking clearly.
• Frequently bending, stooping, repetitive leg and arm movements, lifting up to 25 lbs.
Applications: You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at:
PWSA Human Resources Department
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Position: Chief Corporate Counsel
Rate: $175,000 – $195,000
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Additional Details: Chief Corporate Counsel Brochure