The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Operations Superintendent. They will evaluate all operations and functions at the Aspinwall Water Treatment Plant, Highland Park Microfiltration Plant, and all PWSA pump stations and storage facilities.
• Provide leadership and management for all operational functions of the Aspinwall Water Treatment Plant, the Highland Park Microfiltration Plant (MFP), pump stations and storage facilities to all assets, systems, and facilities.
• Prioritize, schedule, supervise, direct, support, and evaluate work of assigned treatment Plant Operators, Stationary Engineers, and other plant personnel.
• Identify, order, schedule and ensure proper delivery of all water treatment chemicals.
• Manage procurement, contracting, invoicing and payment for chemicals, equipment, machinery, and all contracted and consulting support.
• Ensure payroll is complete and submitted accurately and timely for all water production staff.
• Collaborate with managers, consultants, and staff in strategic assessments and improvements of the operational budget to ensure that financial resources are dedicated to necessary maintenance work.
• Plans, develops, directs, coordinates, organizes, and controls the personnel under jurisdiction toward the effective, efficient, and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees.
• Ensure that work is performed in accordance with PWSA safety rules and regulations, as well as support the development of relevant job safety analysis, and implement all facility security requirements.
• Manages areas of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and established policy, as well as union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
• Performs activities and functions of related lower level personnel as assigned or as required.
• Must be available for 24-hour emergency on call duties.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a four-year college or university and six years water of treatment plant experience with two years of plant supervision or management experience. A combination of education and experience that meet the minimum requirements may be substituted.
• PADEP Pennsylvania Water Treatment Certificate Class A, E with the following sub classes 1,6,7,8,10,12 and 13 is preferred or must become certified within 12 months of hire date.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the operation of the water treatment plants, pumping stations, storage facilities, and their component functions, including but not limited to an understanding of the treatment process, SCADA system, and other related functions and systems.
• Cognizant of the hazards and safety precautions of the work including the handling of chemicals and heavy equipment.
• Ability to manage and participate in the process of interviewing, employee training, planning, assigning, directing work assignments and performance management.
• Ability to supervise and direct assigned personnel in routine and emergency situations.
• Some knowledge and experience with data collection, organization, analysis.
• Basic understanding of relevant labor agreements, personnel policies, and procedures.
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals.
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
• Ability to apply principles of logical and scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
• Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Position: Operations Superintendent FLSA: Exempt
Division: Water Quality and Production Posted: March 9, 2021
Rate: To be determined Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m., March 20, 2021
• Excellent written and oral communication skills are required with the ability to articulate complex technical concepts in business terminology.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
A performance or written exam as well as a medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting.
• May perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to operate a pick-up truck, van, and forklift, and related equipment.
• Ability to work in confined, high spaces, like erect scaffolding.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to perform heavy work including lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks.
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law