Position Title: Operator I Department: Wastewater Division
This position is responsible to perform skilled work in the operation and maintenance of the Advanced Wastewater Treatment Facility on an assigned shift. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Shift Supervisor.
Operators with less than one year service will be required to do the same type of work as is listed below but under the direct supervision of a Shift Supervisor or assisted by another Operator. Work is performed at the Advanced Wastewater Treatment Facility and various pumping stations located in Harrisburg. Work involves the use of stationary and portable pumps, valves, gates, gauges, meters, 12 ft. – 25 ft. ladders, control panels, log sheets, air compressors and motor vehicles such as trucks required for sludge transportation and disposal. Chemicals such as chlorine, polymers, and ferrous sulfate are used on a day-to day basis.
Work also includes the operation of unit processes like thickeners, digesters, clarifies, activated sludge, cogeneration, oxygen distillation, and sludge dewatering. Laboratory analysis is performed on the aforementioned processes to assure its proper operation. Employees are subject to noise and vibration, fumes, odors, toxic conditions, dust, poor ventilation in the work environment, and inclement weather. Safety equipment such as gas detectors, breathing apparatus, harnesses, barricades, tripod, cones, hand-held flags, etc., will be used.
Employees are scheduled on rotating shifts that work days from 7:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M., nights from 7:00 P.M. – 7:00 A.M., weekends and holidays, or on weekdays from 7:00 A.M. – 3:30 P.M., or 3:30 P.M. – 12:00 A.M. (midnight), with the possibility of being required to fill in for shift working operators as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Ability to perform manual work requiring dexterity.
- Complete knowledge of processes and equipment.
- Ability to perform all required duties.
- Ability to react promptly and efficiently in emergencies.
- Ability to understand and apply operating techniques.
- Ability to assemble data and prepare clear, concise reports.
- Ability to operate the plant computer.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems and determine remedial action.
- Ability to apply knowledge of wastewater treatment and sludge handling to solve practical problems. • Ability to comprehend a wide variety of instructions, equipment literature, and technical publications.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic procedures in standard, practical applications.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions, record information, and request supplies and work materials.
- Ability to prepare accurate, concise reports dealing with plant operation and maintenance and personnel activity.
- Ability to react quickly and appropriately to alarms and hazardous situations.
- Ability to pass a respiratory fit test and use an approved respirator.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Wastewater courses or related education such as Operation of Wastewater Plants Volumes I, II, III, & IV.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License, Class C
For more information and to apply, go to https://capitalregionwater.com