Water and Environmental Technology Instructor
Job Description Brief
FULL-TIME WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY INSTRUCTOR reports directly to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Water and Environmental Technology Instructor is responsible for classroom and lab instruction in various Water and Environmental courses and assists in updating current curriculum; providing quality instruction for a diverse student population; performing instructional duties and responsibilities in accordance with the philosophy, mission, core values, policies and procedures of the College.
- 10 years’ experience in a Water and Environmental or related field;
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Water Resources, or related field, with a concentration in water and/or wastewater treatment or an approved equally related educational certification;
- Must be knowledgeable in both water and wastewater treatment processes. This includes everything from water treatment and distribution to wastewater collection and treatment;
- Certified as a drinking and/or wastewater operator with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection.
- Expected to accomplish assigned duties in an efficient, effective and competent manner and to strive for improvement and excellence in all work performed;
- Ability to work independently while contributing to a team environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, and to relate to others in a professional, helpful manner;
- Ability to effectively identify and resolve problems and to maintain strict confidentially related to sensitive information;
- Ability to analyze problems, identifies solutions, and takes appropriate action to resolve problems using independent judgment and decision-making processes;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other department staff, faculty, students and the public;
- Ability to multi-task and organize, prioritize, and follow multiple projects and tasks through to completion with an attention to detail; and
- Ability to interface with local employers in support of the Water and Environmental Technology Program.
- 15 years’ experience in Water and Environmental or related field;
- Master’s degree in closely related field of study;
- A minimum of three years teaching experience in the related field;
- Skill in instructing students from diverse backgrounds;
- Skill in using authentic assessment to evaluate students’ needs and progress; and
- Skill in integrating technology into curriculum and other educational services.
- Teach assigned Water and Environmental Technology courses and associated labs in accordance with College’s workload policy; maintains written instructional standards; facilitates instruction using alternative delivery methods as needed; informs students in writing of instructional standards; posts and maintains office hours; participates in the assessment of student learning outcomes; establishes, maintains and submits accurate student and instructional records in a timely manner;
- Ability to teach all Water and Environmental courses within the program;
- Assists in the preparation of course proposals, curriculum, instructional materials, and evaluation tools; reviews and updates course outlines, textbooks, laboratories and course procedure sheets for Water and Environmental Technology courses; assists with curriculum updates;
- Applies and maintains standards of quality operating methods, processes, systems, and procedures; implements changes as necessary to maintain a successful Water and Environmental Technology program; reviews and updates course outlines, textbooks, and course procedure sheets for assigned courses; integrates knowledge of customers, competitors, other industries, industry groups, and professional training to continuously improve program quality;
- Participates in Water and Environmental Technology course scheduling, College and division meetings; serves on college committees as assigned; collaborates with Dean of Academic Affairs and Division Chair, along with other faculty and instructional to review and maintain the integrity of department curriculum;
- Assists in the management of the Water and Environmental program; maintains equipment and supply inventory; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The Water and Environmental Technology Instructor position is a 9-month, full-time, tenure track faculty position. Openings starting with the Spring 2021 semester (January 18, 2021). Collective Bargaining Agreement is based on 22 student contact hours and 3 office hours weekly and participating in college professional activities. Other duties and responsibilities are defined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Salary and rank for the position is determined on the basis of academic preparation and experience as projected on the Faculty Association Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Application materials must include a cover letter, a current resume, and academic transcripts and/or applicable work credentials. Send applications to Heather Burky, Attention: Water and Environmental Technology Position, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, 750 East King Street, Lancaster, PA 17602 or [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed upon submission and postings will remain open until the positions are filled.
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is a residential, two-year technical college that serves economically disadvantaged as well as tuition-paying students. The college prepares students for skilled employment in a diverse, ever-changing workforce and for full, effective participation as citizens of the community, the Commonwealth, and the nation. Committed for over a century to lifelong learning, inclusiveness, and community outreach, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology dedicates itself to the development of Pennsylvania’s technical workforce.
Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology is an Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. For information about the college, visit our web site at www.stevenscollege.edu.